Blue Screen Error Messages
Are you interested to know the different blue screen errors messages?
When Windows® detects a problem from which it cannot recover; it displays blue screen error with messages. These are text-mode error messages that report information about the condition.
The blue screen error messages are also referred as Stop messages. The messages contain specific information that can help you diagnose and possibly resolve the problem detected by the Windows® kernel.
Messages can be divided into the following types:
- Hardware failures
- Firmware faults
- Virus attacks
- Other software issues
Hardware failures are caused due to a faulty SCSI or ATA hard drives, RAM, Motherboard, SCSI disks, Video and audio adapter. If the hardware device is not properly fitted so that the device driver does not function properly, the devices are damaged, or the devices are not compatible with other machine component – all lead to blue screen errors. Some of the common blue screen error messages that have to be related to hardware errors are:
- NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM or Stop 0x00000024
- DATA_BUS_ERROR or Stop 0x0000002E
- NO_MORE_SYSTEM_PTES or Stop 0x0000003F
- PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or Stop 0x00000050
- KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR or Stop 0x00000077
- DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE or Stop 0x0000009F
- ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY or Stop 0xBE
- STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH or Stop 0xC0000221
For these errors, hardware has to be replaced with a new and compatible device and proper device driver has to be installed.
Firmware faults are caused due to faulty device drivers, IRQ conflicts between devices and firmware; and memory issues in loading device drivers. To fix these issues, faulty device drivers have to be removed and a new one installed. Some of the blue screen error messages attributed to firmware faults are:
- IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or Stop 0x0000000A
- KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED or Stop 0x0000001E
- KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR or Stop 0x0000007A
- BAD_POOL_CALLER or Stop 0xC2
- DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS or Stop 0x000000CE
- THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER or Stop 0x000000EA
If your machine has been affected by virus, the impacts are unpredictable. It would alter or damage the firmware, third party software, or BIOS settings. If the error message displays “INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE or Stop 0x0000007B”, this could be the impact of virus infection. Depending upon the exact error from the dump message, necessary action should be taken.
For other blue screen error messages related to firmware and software, extra care should be taken to detect a possible virus infection and remedial action should be taken.
Other software issues
Blue screen error messages could also be caused due to corruption in Operating system files, DLLs, BIOS settings, and other third party applications. These errors occur due to either of virus attacks, conflicting applications accessing same resources/files, applications modifying system files, outdated Operating system service packs. Some of the blue screen error messages are:
- MISMATCHED_HAL or Stop 0x00000079
- UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP or Stop 0x0000007F
- DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or Stop 0x000000D1
- UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME or Stop 0x000000ED
These errors can be corrected by updating the necessary software applications and by removing incompatible software.
Most of blue screen errors message are quite complex to resolve, as the issues would be interrelated between hardware, software, firmware and virus threat issues. Unless you are sure of the problem use the help of specialist technicians like iYogi.